Sean had a rare weekday off so we decided to leave Connor at Grandma's and headed down to Santa Anita. We had recently started watching a show on Animal Planet named Jockeys, which chronicled the lives of a select group of jockeys. Most of them were riding at Santa Anita this season. It was more interesting to know the faces and stories behind the names in the program.
On this particular trip I wanted to try the Pick 4. All you have to do is pick the winners of the next four consecutive races. I've tried it before and never got past the second race. Those who picked correctly will share over $200,000. I had chosen a couple horse for the first 2 races so I had better odds of choosing correctly. But the 3rd and 4th choice, which were the last two races of the day, I had only one choice each. Ironically the same jockey was riding my chosen horse in both races.
By the second to the last race I was able to tear myself away from the
betting window long enough to join Sean and Colin in the paddock. Colin loved watching them prepare for the race and trot down to the turf. I pointed out the jockey to Colin, "Look Colin, that horsey is going to pay for your college education. Say Hi horsey."
"Hi Horsey Cowboy!!!"
The jockey looked at Colin and waved, surely a sign of good luck. We watched in amazement as that very jockey beat out three horses to squeak out a victory. Three out of Four!!! We were one race away from winning $200,000!!!
Sean and Colin headed back to the paddock while I made my bets for the last race of the day. In that 15 minute time span the horse we needed to win went from third favorite to THE favorite to win.
As the horses started approaching the starting gate, Sean and Colin returned .
"The jockey waved hello to Colin again." It's a sign!
As the horses were getting ready to start, my heart was pounding.
"There's no way we're going to win." I said aloud , but already buying things in my mind.
"And away they go…"
It was the fastest couple of minutes of my life. It was almost a repeat of the last race, our horse was coming up from behind, he was gaining speed in the last stretch and…..
...came in 4th.
Well, there goes Harvard. All in all it was a great time and we were glad we brought Colin, even if his wave hello distracted the Jockey from winning that last race...
And this is THE horse and jockey





0 comments:
Post a Comment