A couple of months ago, on a regular weekday afternoon, I opened my son's car door to let him out. As I unbuckled him, picked him up and placed him on the ground he looked up at me and said...."Wuv, you mommy." then walked away to go to his dad not knowing that, at that very second, he had just completely blown my mind.
When you have kids, from the moment that you lay eyes on them, you tell them that you love them. You probably say it hundreds if not thousands of times to this person that just stares blankly back at you, or if they're feeling generous that day, they smile back at you.
For my 2 1/2 year old son to say I love you all on his own was one of the single most life changing experiences I've ever had. It was raining that day and it felt like the clouds parted and a rainbow landed right on top of my head. I was filled with such an indescribable feeling of love for this little person. This is what pure unconditional love was.
The other day while playing, Colin pushed his brother down for the second time. I told him to stop and asked him if he wanted a "time out". He looked at me for a second as if he was considering it, broke into a sly smile, and said "Wuv you mommy." And with that - the moment's over.


0 comments:
Post a Comment