The disadvantage of going a little crazy with Ralph's Manager's Specials is that you either have to freeze what you get or eat it almost immediately. I found myself with a plethora of "must use soon or chuck it" ingredients.
I broke out the crock pot and began to assemble, what I call, Spare Parts Split Pea Soup
Sean swears that this soup was, and I quote, "Better than Pea Soup's (Anderson)." Now, that is a mighty bold statement, so you would have to ask him yourself if it was true.
I think my secret ingredient had something to do with it. I found this for a $1 at Albertsons:
K & D's Bacon Salt. Their tagline is, "Everything should taste like bacon." Come on, who can argue that kind of logic?
SPARE PARTS SPLIT PEA SOUP(This is the recipe using what I had on hand, feel free to change it accordingly depending on what you want to use. Think of it as a template.)
1 bag split peas (rinse)
2 packages ham sandwich meat (cut into cubes)
1 cup each diced celery, carrots (from my leftover veggie tray), 1 cup shredded carrot (optional)
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp minced garlic
1 Bay leaf
Seasoned Salt, Black Pepper, Bacon Salt (optional but I think this makes the difference, you can use cooked diced bacon)
1 quart HOT (not boiling) water
1 carton or 2 cans Chicken or Vegetable Broth/Stock (Room temp or warm)
For later: 1 tbl spoon corn starch and 1/8 cup water mixed well
1. Layer in crock pot.
2. Turn on High for 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
3. About 30-45 mins before serving mix in corn starch & water mixture. Whisk soup to break up the split peas. Turn to the warm setting or turn off so it can cool a bit before serving.
You can set up toppings at the table including:
-Bacon Bits (Yes more bacon)
-Shredded Cheddar Cheese
-Crutons
-Chives
-Sour Cream (Sean does this)
I would post a picture like my other recipes but there is a reason they use Split Pea soup as a movie prop. So here's a video of something else green, Connor doing the Irish jig.

0 comments:
Post a Comment