I am not ashamed to admit that I still own teddy bears, not just teddy bears, Build-A-Bears. My justification for a grown woman having almost a dozen stuffed animals is that each is a bookmark for a significant moment in my past. Each bear also contains a recorded message from Sean that I can keep forever or at least until the batteries die out. Besides, where else are you going to see a 6'7 man carefully pick out the perfect f "bear heart" out of a bin, spin around in a circle, kiss it, and make a wish? For most of the bears I own, I was either there with Sean or he was there alone…usually we are the only ones there that do not have a child with them.
About three years ago, while 5 months pregnant with Colin, we visited a Build-A-Bear right in the heart of Manhattan. Sean and I created a bear for our soon-to-be son. A Green bear covered with Shamrocks and in each paw a special message from each of his parents. Once again we were the only ones in there without a child but at least one step closer to not being the crazy adults buying teddy bears for themselves.
This year we hit another Build-A-Bear milestone. We were there as parents AND we had a child there to with us to prove it. We picked out a green frog that had shamrock dimples and went through the whole process with him. Granted, Connor was more interested in the small stuffed basketballs he found and the bear "air shower" but it was a special moment that he will never remember and we will never forget.





0 comments:
Post a Comment